Fire helmet from Germany. The leather helmet shown here is probably one of the most leather helmets built in Germany. The helmet arose before the first world war and was worn between 1891 and 1915. In 1915 the military helmet M15 was introduced. Therefore, the helmet was adapted for use at the fire brigade. The helmet top was removed. Instead, a brass comb was installed. Inside you can still see the holes of the attachement of this helmet top. The "button 91" for fixing the chin strap was left. The button 91 was the standard attachment for the military helmets. The chin strap could easily be dismantled. The coat of arms of Thuringia can be seen at the front. On May 1, 1920, the state of Thuringia was founded. It included the Thuringian states of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach, Saxony-Gotha, Saxony-Meiningen, Saxony-Altenburg, Schwarzburg- Rudolstadt, Schwarzburg- Sondershausen and the state of Reuss. The Free State of Coburg joined to Bavaria.
The Thuringian coat of arms is supplemented with the swastika. (Left upper corner in the coat of arms, cross not quite removed) This shows that the helmet was used until the time of the National Socialism (1933 to 1945).